An alteration & addition to an inter-war worker’s cottage with a 90’s add-on to the rear.
On early observation our interest surrounded the poor circulation through the original 1940’s dwelling due to the number of changes the rear had endured. The 90’s addition to the rear created a ‘stop end’ to the sequence through the house and provided no connection to the rear laneway. We felt there was opportunity in trying to link the front of the site to the rear of the site through what was, in effect, a ‘mega long’ hallway and visual axis.
Along this axis through the dwelling our aim was to make small interventions to some of the existing spaces that either required an upgrade or a change of use.
At the front of the dwelling and engaging with the garden, a formal lounge space was converted into a rich timber lined study. The old central bathroom was removed and converted into a dark transitional space between old and new, creating a clear circulation path that was previously non-existent. This, in turn allowed us to open the kitchen up and bring more light into the space. To the rear of the site, a new carport and garden were designed to create the second entry to the house and the end of the long visual corridor. A key design move was to open up the rear fence to the laneway, giving a sense of a larger external area whilst generously offering a green reprieve to the hard an uninviting facades characterising the majority of the laneway.
A simple palette of rich timbers and translucent materials complement the existing dwelling. Our view was to accept what was there in all its forms and appearances and enhance the quality of space within.