Margaret River SHS site is located close to the town precinct, across from the intersection of Bussell Highway and Wallcliffe Road. A well-established existing Campus, the original buildings were constructed in 1953 and the campus was expanded in successive phases. The original master plan follows a ‘courtyard’ pattern incorporating buildings and courtyards, a typical arrangement for this period. Growth throughout the campus has developed in an organic manner, with buildings expanding from the consolidated core of the original campus.
While the original additions were linked to existing building’s conforming courtyards in order to follow the original planning intent, preference for detached buildings in recent additions reflect the latest trend in educational and functional planning, resulting in buildings of a dissimilar nature and undermining the clarity of campus original identity.
An increase in demographics and school enrolments have brought the need for transportable classrooms dispersed around the site. These structures, in addition to the existing farming sheds, add to the disaggregation of the school, which translates to a multiplicity of temporary structures spread throughout the site.
The School’s current capacity is for 650 students in permanent accommodation, however current enrolments are above 1000. The school relies on temporary accommodation with 17 transportable classrooms distributed throughout the site.
The proposed stage 1 facility will accommodate 1200 students in permanent accommodation upon completion, including a new Learning Block, a Health and Physical Education Block, a Science and IT Block, as well as additions to the existing Admin and Student Services Block.
The new Science Block located on the corner between Bussell Hwy and Wallcliffe Rd, will present a refreshed and contemporary identity for the school. With its geometric cladding patterns inspired by the dappled tree shadows, the new buildings bring a distinctive contemporary character to the site. Despite being located in different areas of the school campus, all new buildings follow a unique alignment with a diagonal axis running through the site connecting the campus with the north-eastern corner of the site.
Generous outdoor covered areas will provide ample protection against wet weather, while integrating seamlessly with redeveloped outdoor and skills areas.