Bishops House and Gardens are the only large house and gardens from the Colonial period still remaining in central Perth, which makes it both rare and representative of the development in its neighbourhood around the time of its establishment.
Bishop’s House is a two-storey residence constructed in 1859 for the first Anglican Bishop of Western Australia, Mathew Blagden Hale. In 1875, Hale was appointed Bishop of Brisbane, and handed all his Perth properties over to the Anglican Church.
When Bishop Charles Owen Leaver Riley arrived to take up his post in 1895, Bishop’s House was renovated and repaired for his occupancy. After World War II, archbishops did not favour Bishop’s House as their residence and in 1959 it was leased by Legacy as their Perth headquarters, and became known as Legacy House. In 1984 Bishop’s House was renovated and restored by architects, Oldham Boas Ednie-Brown, and Lord McAlpine used it as his Perth residence.
Lord McAlpine was instrumental in obtain Bishop’s House heritage status.