The Curtin University Law School, 57 Murray St was built in 1911 to house the Public Health Department. Over time other government agencies, including the Department of Fisheries and Aborigines, moved in. AO Neville was Chief Protector of Aborigines from May 1915 to 1936 and later became Commissioner for Native Affairs. He was located at 57 Murray St from 1922-1945.The 1905 Aborigines Act gave Neville sweeping powers resulting in ‘unprecedented government interference in the lives of Aboriginal people’ (A Haebich). Aboriginal people who had to visit Murray St, no matter what the weather, had to wait on the open verandahs at the back of the building having entered via the side lane because they were not allowed through the front door.
When the National Trust took over Murray St they completed interpretation throughout the building that speaks of the lives touched by this place. Yokai works with people affected by the Stolen Generations and has their offices there. Join the National Trust and Yokai on a tour of this significant building to learn more about this important history as part of a reconciliation journey.
Guided tours must be booked in advance.
This tour runs for approximately 45 minutes and is wheelchair friendly.
A MAXIMUM OF FOUR PLACES CAN BE BOOKED PER PERSON PER TOUR SESSION.
Tickets are no longer available.